Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Father's Day gift idea....DIY Succulent Terrarium

I have been wanting to make a terrarium for a while and I finally did it......today!!! I made one for me and one for my dad for Father's Day. It only took about 10 minutes to put it all together, but I did take a while at the store to find the right plants and the soil.

I did my research and found that I could use rocks in the bottom of the jar and a cactus soil, then add the plants and some more rocks.

The soil cost about $4
The rocks are from my back yard
Jars $5.99 each...Target
Plants about $16, or $8 each jar


I added a little water here to make the soil moist rather than dry, this helps when setting your plants.
When I added the plants I took off some of the soil they were packaged with and stuck them in and covered with a tiny bit more soil.
I got these directions from BirdHouse Blog 
 
How to care for your terrarium

Watering.
Succulents live in arid environments and need very little water, especially when grown in a terrarium. You can spray them with a light mist every week, or water them every other week with a tiny bit of water. Only water when the soil is completely dry. It is much better to underwater than overwater these plants, as overwatering can lead to rot, which will kill the plants. If the plants are not getting enough water, their leaves may start to shrivel and droop a bit, but they recover quickly once you water them.

Light.
Succulents like plenty of indirect light. They do well placed near a window that gets only indirect light for most of the day. Too much direct sunlight will burn the plants as the terrarium can get very warm.

Fertilizing.
Succulents require nutrients, but in smaller amounts than most indoor plants. Fertilizer should be applied only in spring and summer, at two- to four-week intervals, at approximately one-quarter the dosage recommended on the label. No fertilizer is required from mid-September to March.

Temperature. Succulents prefer temperatures from 25 to 35 ° Celsius during the day, and about 10° cooler at night.

Maintenance.
Succulents require little maintenance. To discourage rot, it is best to remove fallen leaves from the terrarium. It is also good to allow the terrarium to receive fresh air from an open window when the weather allows.



I am also at the moment making this yummy dinner so we can celebrate Taylynn, Preston, Alayna and Chandler's daddy! Taylynn and Preston will be on their way to Arkansas on Father's Day......I'm kinda excited!

Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment